For many women, their breasts are a source of femininity and self-confidence. If your breasts do not have the appearance that you desire, then breast augmentation, also known as mammaplasty or breast enhancement surgery, can help you achieve your aesthetic goals.
Women may opt for this procedure in their 20s and 30s to enhance naturally small breasts, or later in life to return their breasts to a pre-pregnancy state. In fact, hundreds of thousands of women choose to undergo breast augmentation surgery every year.
Dr. Scott A. Greenberg is a board-certified plastic surgeon who has received extensive training in his field and has helped many women achieve the results they desire. Please call Lakemont Plastic Surgery & Laser Center at 407-644-3137 to schedule an individualized consultation to determine if breast augmentation is right for you. We welcome patients from Orlando, Winter Park, Union Park, Oviedo and nearby Central Florida.
- Benefits of Breast Augmentation
- Candidates for Breast Enhancement
- Your Breast Augmentation Consultation
- Breast Implant Options
- The IDEAL IMPLANT® Structured Breast Implant
- Incision Options for Breast Augmentation
- Breast Implant Placement
- Your Breast Enhancement Procedure
- Breast Augmentation Recovery and Results
- Schedule Your Consultation
Benefits of Breast Augmentation
The main benefit that women receive from breast augmentation surgery is an improved breast appearance. And while the primary goal of this procedure is to increase the size of your breasts, breast augmentation can offer some additional aesthetic benefits.
Breast augmentation may be able to:
- Improve the projection and shape of your breasts
- Enhance the fullness of your breasts
- Balance your breast symmetry
- Create or enhance the appearance of cleavage
- Improve the balance between your breast and hip contours
- Boost your self-esteem and body image
Breast augmentation cannot correct severely sagging breasts. If you are concerned about drooping breasts, Dr. Greenberg can discuss your options for combining your breast augmentation with a breast lift.
"Meeting with Dr. Greenberg made me feel very comfortable. My breasts look amazing! If I could do it again I would. Dr. Greenberg made this the best experience."
Candidates for Breast Enhancement
Breast augmentation can improve the appearance of your breasts and correct a variety of cosmetic concerns. A personalized consultation with Dr. Greenberg is the best way to determine if this procedure is right for you.
You may be a good candidate for breast augmentation if:
- You are in good overall health
- You are not currently pregnant or breastfeeding
- Your breasts are fully developed
- You want to improve the appearance, size, or shape of your breasts
- You have realistic expectations for the procedure
- You are at least 18 years old (for saline implants)
- You are at least 22 years old (for silicone implants)
- You do not smoke or are willing to quit in order to facilitate the recovery process
Women often wonder how breast augmentation may affect their desire to become mothers later in life. In most cases, breast augmentation will not affect your ability to breastfeed. However, future pregnancies may potentially impact the appearance of your breasts and your augmentation results.
Your Breast Augmentation Consultation
It is important to choose a plastic surgeon that you feel comfortable with. Once you have an experienced plastic surgeon in mind, you can schedule a consultation to learn more about them and the breast augmentation procedure.
During your consultation with Dr. Greenberg, be prepared to:
- Talk at length about your health history and any relevant medical conditions.
- Ask lots of questions to make sure that you're both viewing this procedure in the same light, with the same expectations.
- Discuss your goals and what results you may be able to achieve.
- Discuss the procedure and recovery process.
- Undergo a physical examination to help determine your candidacy.
Breast Implant Options
One of the most important decisions you must make when getting breast augmentation surgery is the type of implant you will receive. Dr. Greenberg is very experienced with breast augmentation surgery, and while he knows how to achieve a great result, he also understands that this is a very personal procedure involving individual desires and decisions. He will take the time to help you decide on the options that can give you the best outcome.
Breast implant considerations include the:
- Size: Breast implant sizes are not actually measured in cup sizes. So, while it may be helpful to have an ideal size in mind, Dr. Greenberg will discuss implant size in cubic centimeters. Implants come in a variety of sizes to help you achieve your aesthetic goals.
- Material: The two fill options available are silicone gel and saline. There are advantages and disadvantages of each of these breast implant types which Dr. Greenberg will discuss with you. While both types have silicone shells, saline implants are filled with sterile salt water and silicone implants are filled with silicone gel. Silicone breast implants tend to feel like natural breasts, though they can pose more of a risk if they leak.
- Profile: Breast implants come in a variety of “profiles” reflecting the projection outward from the chest. Higher profile implants project farther from your chest than low or moderate profile implants per volume. The right implant for you will depend on your body proportions, the width of your chest, the amount of your own breast tissue present, and the quality of your skin.
- Shape: Manufacturers offer both round and shaped implants. Shaped implants are all generally tear-shaped, narrow at the top, with more projection at the bottom. Studies have shown that in breast augmentation patients “natural” results can be achieved with both of these implant styles.
- Texture: Breast implants come in both smooth and rough surface textures. In general, textured implants are usually more easily seen and felt through the skin than smooth implants but have a decreased likelihood of becoming firm (capsular contracture) in certain positions.
Again, there is no “right” choice and Dr. Greenberg will help you arrive at decisions that you feel comfortable with.
The IDEAL IMPLANT® Structured Breast Implant
The IDEAL IMPLANT® Structured Breast Implant is now available in our office. This is a new type of implant that is filled with saline, but has an internal structure to make it behave as if filled with silicone gel. The IDEAL IMPLANT contains a series of internal shells that provide support to the edges and control fluid movement to prevent bouncing. The result is an implant that combines certain key features and benefits of both saline and silicone gel implants.
Like the saline implant, the filler is a sterile salt water solution, which women like for peace of mind in case of a rupture/deflation. Like the silicone gel implant, it has a natural feel, but without the risk of silent rupture and FDA-recommended MRI scans - women can simply look in the mirror and know their implants are intact. In addition, clinical trial results at 6 years show the IDEAL IMPLANT has a lower rate of capsular contracture and a lower rate of rupture than silicone gel or saline implants for primary augmentation.
Incision Options for Breast Augmentation
Breast augmentation requires the creation of a small incision, and while it may fade over time it may never disappear completely. That is why the location of your incision is a personal decision, though it may be influenced by the details of your unique augmentation procedure.
The potential incision locations include:
- Axillary (armpit) incision: This choice leaves a scar only an inch or so long which can only be seen if you raise your arms. The procedure is a bit more complex because the surgeon's visibility is not ideal.
- Inframammary crease (breast crease) incision: This option affords easy access for the surgeon. It's a good location if you'll be having a breast lift at the same time. The scar is hardly noticeable as it is usually hidden in the crease under the breast.
- Peri-areolar incision: The incision is a small semi-circle shape on the lower edge of the areola and results in a hardly visible scar because the changes in skin coloration and texture camouflage it well.
Breast Implant Placement
There are two commonly-used options for breast implant placement: subglandular or submammary, which is behind the gland and above the muscle, and submuscular or subpectoral, which is under the pectoralis major muscle.
Some surgeons prefer the subglandular technique because:
- It does not interfere with the pectoralis major muscle
- A larger implant can often be used
- In some patients, it can achieve a “lifting” of the breasts alleviating the need for additional incisions
However, many surgeons prefer the submuscular placement because:
- Some evidence shows it's less prone to capsular contracture
- There is less interference with mammogram images
- The implant position is better maintained over a long period of time, potentially reducing sagging
Dr. Greenberg will discuss the pros and cons of each placement option during your consultation.
Your Breast Enhancement Procedure
Breast augmentation is performed in our accredited in-office surgical facility as an outpatient procedure. General anesthesia is often used during the procedure, but intravenous sedation may be an option. Dr. Greenberg will perform your unique breast augmentation procedure based on your decisions regarding implant placement, size, and more. He routinely uses a special device to insert implants called a Keller funnel to help prevent infection and possible complications.
The operation takes approximately 1-1/2 hours. You will stay in our recovery area until you are able to go home. Someone should accompany you to the office, drive you home, and remain with you for the first 24 hours after breast augmentation surgery.
"Dr. Greenberg and his staff were very professional and caring. The quality care I received was beyond my expectations. I was looking for a natural result and that is what I got. I am very happy with the way I look."
Breast Augmentation Recovery and Results
Activity is limited for the first few days immediately following breast augmentation surgery, but routine, non-strenuous activities may be resumed during this time depending upon comfort. You should be able to resume driving and return to work after one week.
Dr. Greenberg will provide you with instructions regarding:
- Activity restrictions
- Oral medications to take to reduce discomfort
- Instructions for showering
- Post-procedural care
Schedule Your Winter Park Breast Augmentation Consultation
Discover how you may benefit from breast augmentation surgery by scheduling a consultation at 407-644-3137. Dr. Greenberg serves patients from Orlando, Winter Park, Union Park, Oviedo and nearby Central Florida.