Men can suffer from overdeveloped or enlarged breast tissue, a condition known as gynecomastia. This condition is actually very common. If you have gynecomastia, you may find that it can affect your self-esteem and cause embarrassment. You may not feel comfortable removing your shirt in social or even intimate situations. Fortunately, gynecomastia can be corrected through plastic surgery, though the treatment options depend on the cause.
At Lakemont Plastic Surgery & Laser Center, we want you to feel comfortable and confident about the way that you look. If you are interested in achieving a more masculine chest contour, please call 407-644-3137 to schedule a consultation with board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Scott Greenberg. We welcome patients from Orlando, Winter Park, Union Park, Oviedo, and nearby areas of Central Florida.
Causes of Gynecomastia
It is common for men of all ages to experience some level of breast enlargement. Many boys who experience gynecomastia during puberty naturally see their chest flatten out, though this is not always the case.
Persistent enlarged male breast tissue can be caused by several factors, including:
- Hormonal imbalances
- Weight gain
- Glandular conditions
- The use of certain drugs or steroids
Gynecomastia can also be caused by medical conditions such as thyroid disorders or cancer. In these instances, it is necessary to treat the illness before considering cosmetic surgery.
Candidates for Gynecomastia Surgery
The best way to determine your candidacy is to schedule a consultation with our board-certified plastic surgeon. Dr. Greenberg will discuss your goals and evaluate your physical characteristics to determine if you would benefit from surgery. He may also perform tests to determine the underlying cause of your gynecomastia.
In general, ideal candidates for gynecomastia surgery:
- Are in good general health
- Do not have a severe illness or medical condition that could impair healing
- Are willing to stop smoking in order to facilitate healing
- Are physically healthy and near their ideal body weight
- Have reached a stabilized level of breast development
- Wish to improve the appearance of their chest
Surgical options to reduce the appearance of enlarged male breasts should be considered if your condition cannot be improved through alternative medical treatments. In some cases, gynecomastia that sets in during puberty is self-correcting. The same can be true for men whose breasts grow as a result of weight gain. However, for some men, the fat deposits in the breast tissue are resistant to weight loss. In this case, the most effective solution is cosmetic body contouring surgery.
Gynecomastia Surgery Options
Surgical methods of treating gynecomastia can provide you with the sculpted, masculine chest that you desire. Plastic surgery is not exclusively for women who want to improve their appearance- we all want to feel good about the way that we look. In fact, according to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, the popularity of male cosmetic surgery has increased by 28% since 2000.
Your options for gynecomastia surgery include:
- Liposuction: If your gynecomastia is primarily caused by excess fatty tissue, liposuction is an effective treatment option. With liposuction, excess fat in the treatment area is loosened with a thin tube called a cannula and then removed. This option alone may be sufficient if your skin is elastic and can spring back after the fat is removed.
- Excision: In cases where glandular breast tissue or excess skin must be removed, excision may be recommended. Excision is also necessary to reposition your nipple or reduce the size of your areola.
- Combination of liposuction and excision: Depending on the cause of your gynecomastia and your physical characteristics, a combination of liposuction and excision may be the best treatment option.
Maintaining Your Chest Contouring Results
The results of your gynecomastia surgery will be immediately visible and will improve as your body recovers from surgery. The final results may not be visible for 3 to 6 months.
In many cases, the results are permanent. However, if your gynecomastia was caused by the use of certain drugs and medications or weight gain, you will need to avoid these substances and commit to a healthy lifestyle in order to maintain your results.
"I came to Dr. Greenberg because his office responded to me promptly and because I got to meet with him, not an assistant. Everyone was so accessible. I really appreciate the doctor seeing me yearly. It shows he is confident in what surgery he performed and that he truly cares about his patients. "
"I was so glad I chose Dr. Greenberg. I feel he is an excellent surgeon. The entire experience was so positive for me. The staff was great, my questions were answered immediately and the whole surgical team approach lessened my fears."
Schedule Your Consultation with our Winter Park Plastic Surgeon
If you are tired of feeling self-conscious about your enlarged male breast tissue, call 407-644-3137 to schedule a consultation with Dr. Greenberg. At Lakemont Plastic Surgery & Laser Center, we welcome patients from Orlando, Union Park, Oviedo, and nearby areas of Central Florida at our Winter Park office.